Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sunflowers!

 “Ah Sunflower, weary of time 

 Who countest the steps of the sun; 

 Seeking after that sweet golden clime 

 Where the traveller’s journey is done.” 

– William Blake 



 Sunflowers are my very favorite flower,  their big floppy heads-- full of seeds standing incredibly straight upon thin green stems they seem to defy the rules that other flowers must follow.   I can never look at a sunflower without smiling.  They have become a permanent part of my garden, right smack in the middle of my front yard.

The cheery yellow sunflower seems to love the sun as much as we love them--Sunflowers are heliotropic.  Heliotropism refers to species that seem to track or follow the movement of the sun as it travels across the sky from East to West.  The buds and leaves are the parts of the sunflower that do this, the flower itself is pretty much just along for the ride :)  Because of this behavior sunflowers have become a symbol of devotion, longevity, adoration and unwavering faith.  You will find the Helianthus Annuus or Common Sunflower in a lot of my artwork, I simply adore them!  ♥♥




No comments:

Post a Comment